As a kid
growing up in suburban Toronto ,
Halloween was an event. City living made perfect sense when you considered the
access children had to hundreds of houses and a multitude of candy. Given the
effort, you could go from door to door without end. Every year, we used pillowcases
to carry our stash. You needed all that storage room for all the treats you
gathered. Occasionally, you had to run home and empty the goods out, only to
return to collecting like some beggar would. We acquired so much candy that it
was almost Christmas before we ran out. Every year, Halloween was more than
just the spectacle. Back in my day, Halloween was pure adventure with the
greatest reward. Kids roamed the streets, mostly without the parental guidance
you see these days. A group of us, including my brothers and sister, would move
from one area to another, hoarding in a manner worthy of A&E. Halloween was
not only great fun, each eve held a special place in time, unlike so many other
holidays. When I think back on all the Halloween nights I have experienced, it
is my childhood memories of the day that stand out as best for me. There was
something grand and carefree about Halloween when I was a child. Sadly, these
seem to be lacking in these more modern times.
In Toronto , Halloween brought an onslaught of children
knocking at your door, but at my parents’ home in Strathroy , Ontario ,
it was a different story. The move from the big city left you longing, at times,
for better times. Each year, handing out candy seemed anticlimactic. Perhaps
thirty or forty children visited their front door. My Mom and sister always
made such a fuss about decorating. Gravestones on the front lawn and spider
webs everywhere were standard fare. Between the two of them, Halloween lived up
to the spectacle, not that anyone really ever noticed. Over time, the children
going to my parents’ house for candy each year dwindled to almost nothing.
Granted, my folks reside just inside the town lines, just a few steps and
country living is the life you see. It’s not really surprising, this decline.
New subdivisions swallowed that end of the town years ago. What child would
make an effort to run down a country lane with 4 houses on it, when they can
access the goods en masse just a block or two away? After my Mother’s passing,
my sister took full control of Halloween. For a few years, the effort seemed
worth it. For a time, there would be no display, no fright night. There was
just no reason to go to all that trouble for a measly 3 costumes. In an attempt
to restore tradition, this year my sister is at it again. It’s not hard labour,
more a labour of love. They still hand out candy (with lots to spare) but there
still seems to be something missing. It’s not that Halloween died, it simply
changed and shifted. Things just aren’t the same.
I knew many
a Halloween where candy was the last thing on my mind. As a teenager, come
Halloween, I was drawn to social events rather than tricks or treats. I used to
spend hours costuming for one shindig or another. I went to trip the light
fantastic, usually with Kathy, a good friend who liked to dirty dance. We met
at Seekers, a church youth group. I could not tell you just how many times we
paired up over those few years. She was fun and so was teaming up with her.
Despite my unannounced proclivity, we meshed on that dance floor time and time
again. We partied but it was innocent and simple, pure entertainment without
all the complications. You hear about youth today and how they like to play.
Hedonism seems to be the preferred flavour. A lifestyle of excess is only
overshadowed by their inability to see beyond themselves. Fun isn’t dancing or
spending time with your friends, it’s drugs and booze and far too much freedom.
I am sure that somewhere, one group or another hosts some form of celebration
come this Halloween season, but all I can picture is each side of an arena
filled with adolescents, using each chair as they stare at their Smartphone,
talking to a friend on the other side of room. Things just don’t seem the same
as they once were. Granted, Halloween night will still find children running
from house to house. Jack-o’-Lanterns and frightening displays still litter the
lawns of both urban and rural dwellings. It all just seems so lifeless to me
now. Getting candy was only one part of what made Halloween so special. We made
our own costumes, or at least my Mother did. These days, $19.99 at Wal-Mart
will automatically relieve lazy parents of this responsibility. Halloween now seems
to be for smaller children while devil’s night appears to fit the lifestyle of
young people. Halloween still is but it’s not the same.
October 31st,
2017 will be my third Halloween living in Paris ,
Ontario . The first occasion
occurred on a learning curve. While the 7 pumpkins we carved looked fitting
enough, leaving the front gate closed and turning off all the outside lights
seemed to only dissuade trick or treaters from approaching the house. From what
I can remember, we had only 11 children knock on our door. Our mistakes were
duly noted. Our second Halloween saw a different turnout. With 6 carved
pumpkins, a giant hanging ghost and a ghoul head lighted from within, the place
was festive for sure. We left the gate open and the front lights on and presto,
one kid after another was granted 3 chocolate bars. When I was growing up the
selection of candy we got varied depending on the neighbourhood. These days all
kids want are the chocolate bars that come with the celebration. The days of
homemade Rice Krispie squares, Unicef collection in that rectangular cardboard
box, and cans of pop are long gone into history. Going through your stash meant
pouring it out on the living room floor so a parent could have a look. With 5
children, it took my Mom some time but eventually the hoard became fully my own
and I paced off to my room to gleefully worship it. I remember her fear, that
somehow a razorblade or needle would find its way from snack to body part,
usually the mouth and throat. You would think these modern times would convince
people that it’s not okay to avoid inspection but every year, tales of damaged
children fill the news on the very next day. Our second Halloween in Paris was much more
successful than the previous holiday but there was still something missing. The
energy, the joy I knew trick or treating as a boy seemed lacking in the faces
of the children who came to our home. It’s almost like the process has become
somewhat of an expectation rather than a pleasure. The children I’ve
encountered since our move here seem dull and lifeless, even when standing at
the door begging for some more. Joking with them as you reward their costume
seems foreign to most of them. They appear startled and a little scared, as if
warned not to enjoy things too much. The entire tradition has become rather
lacklustre.
This year,
our third Halloween will see the very same things that last year saw. The
pumpkins will be carved and the ghost hung out to dry. That ghoul with
illumination will sit in the window facing the road and shine just like it did
last year. The black cauldron I use for distribution will be filled just like
it was last year. I will open the gate and leave the lights on, just like I did
in 2016. Last Christmas, I was given a Captain America hoodie, including a face
mask where the hood should be. The kids next door left me the Captain’s shield
when they moved to England .
I will wear this outfit when I open the door this year. I try to make an
effort, I try to take as much part in the festivities as I can. I enjoy seeing each
child as they stand waiting for gratification. I can occasionally see the
anticipation in their zombie-like eyes. I can only imagine what the experience
is like for someone growing up in this age. I often wonder if children still
view the world though innocence rather than technology. Is the experience of
Halloween an actual experience for them or is it something different, a ritual
void of excitement and void of much needed laughter? It all strikes me as
rather hollow. This is the way that I see things, at least from the view of my front door.
It doesn’t
matter how many kids show up at our door. Their absence would only leave more
chocolate for my partner and me to enjoy. We will still carve all those
pumpkins and we will relish the feeling of home one gets when sharing such
memories. Amidst all the carving, and all the display, a part of Halloween has
survived for me. My partner stands right with me on this. We make Halloween
special for us, any children who become involved are incidental. It’s not that they don’t
matter, but they are not required when it comes to reliving your youth, if only
for mere moments. When the darkness has fully set in and all the kiddies have
returned to their lobotomies, my partner and I sit ourselves down and we watch It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, then
Garfield ’s Halloween Adventure. When the
cartoons have passed away, we turn our attention to horror. Each year we pick
from our extensive DVD library, each year we vary the choice. Whether John
Carpenter’s Halloween or even Frank
Capra’s Arsenic and Old Lace, it’s
not necessarily the film that is important, rather the investment made. We will
never have children and are both more than okay with that (trust me). They are
irrelevant, to be fully honest. I do not require such relationships to be
happy. I am responsible for how I react to the world around me. I still
celebrate Halloween because it brings a part of me to life, even if things just
aren’t the same.
Photos
Halloween 2016

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.