As
hard as it is to survive God, there is nothing tougher than surviving life. The
constant chaos just living can bring is more than enough to affect the
strongest of men. We can use borrowed knowledge to sustain and guide us but what
we think and feel has little bearing on our fate. We must struggle. We must
strive. If we do not, then we are doomed by our own hand. We make the bed then
we don't want to sleep in it. We engage, then curse things when they don't turn
out the way we wished that they would. Nothing ever comes out right. We need to
escape. Each person has an internal life, a land of emancipation, that we turn
to in the darkest hours. We go there when the world is just too rough. It
becomes a dependable haven from the duality life seems to exhibit. One day the
sun shines then the rain comes and washes everything away. Sometimes you wanna
go where only you know your name. In quiet refuge we try to carry on, using the
world we create inside to cope with the pandemonium and all that bedlam. When
the life you lead is troubled go right ahead and create a safe place.
"So, you've handed in your resignation,
Contemplatin' why nothin' turns out right.
A little fed up with all the disappointments,
So what's the point in wastin' any time?
It's only temporary, so what's your hurry?
No need to worry. Don't you know that,
If it all just happened overnight,
You wouldn't know how much it means
If it all just happened overnight,
You would never learn to believe
In what you cannot see,
What you cannot see.
Take it a day, a day at a time
One foot in front of
the other,
Take it a day, a day
at a time
No need to hurry,
hurry.
Take it a day, a day
at a time
It won't happen over
night.
It won't happen over
night.
Have a little faith,
Must appreciate,
Every single day,
Don't give up, no"
(Overnight, Amy
Grant 2010)
My
biography is often like an amusement park. It exists as an otherland. I have used it to
hide from life, learn from life and as a method to carry on through life. Some
parts are droll and boring, others thrill you with their simplicity. Every time
I sit down for a ride I go up and down, then repeat it again and again.
Sometimes the ride lasts forever and other times it is quick and precise. I've
been coming here since the time I was a child. I could always count on this
safe place. As I sit in contemplation, going through the events from my life, I realize that in a way
I have the perfect tool, a survivor's guide (if you will) to almost everything.
I can capture these moments, these lessons that have come from just living. I
choose to use them in an attempt to make it through. I share them so that, in a
sense, you can learn too.
Welcome
to Otherland. It may look abandoned but
I assure you that it breathes. It is. It is the place we all go to, just with a
different name for each different person.
It is our secret place and our treasured space. It is yours and yours
alone. I have chosen to grant free admission to anyone who wants a peek
inside. I have nothing left to hide. It may seem like part of some freak show but I assure you this carnival is legit.
It is everything I have come to know and holds all the reasons that I have come
to be who I am. Wander with me now. Take a walk through the pictures that I
paint. Stop and smell the roses. Take a joyride. Jump on a coaster and go go
go. In the Otherland, all the joy comes for free but with great expense. Grab a
ticket and meet me inside.
Photos




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.