Monday, February 13, 2017

Every Heartbeat


"Hear me speak what's on my mind
Let me give this testimony
To reaffirm that you will find
That you are my one and only
No exception to this rule
I'm simple but I'm no fool
I've got a witness happy to say
Every hour, every day"


            We all say how lovely love is. I don't mean the kind of love you have for your neighbour. I don't mean the bond you have with family or the agape love one feels towards God and others. I speak of romantic love and all that it entails. We spend almost all of our lives cherishing, cooing and recklessly throwing our feelings around all because we want to be held and wanted and complete. In fact, we convince ourselves that loving someone, the act of being in love, is a wonderful thing. We spend our entire lives in pursuit. When we do not find it, we just keep hoping, and praying, and wishing. When we do get it, we spend all our time wishing things were better and asking something up above to make it all turn out for our benefit. It rarely ever does. The truth is, the primary reason most people want love is so that they can get laid. Any emotion that comes with that motivation is hormonal yet not necessarily erotic. That is why so many relationships just don't last; neither does the passion. Once that goes, you are all on your own, trapped in a world without coitus, all part of some artificial avocation.
            Not for one second have I ever stopped loving my first partner Doug. After over twenty years of weeping at his grave, I have come to recognize that I love him more now  than when he was alive. It seems some love, apparently, when it is true and real, has a hard habit of lingering. True love doesn't die, it just changes. His death did not alter the way I feel, it fortified everything. I still feel exactly the same way now as I always have, again, perhaps even stronger. When my current partner Ben came along eighteen years ago, I imagined the two emotional states could not reside in harmony, they would not and could not co-exist within me. All these years later and I see how wrong I was. There was something so grand, so precious about my loyalty and commitment to Doug, that I could not go on without it. I held it, cherished it, despite how it ended and the act that sealed his doom.  The truth is I just never let it go. It was so significant, so special to me that I learned to live with the pain versus having the sheer freedom to move past it. I could not continue without him, so I kept him. I never once vilified him or the experience. In the end, he is now dust to dust, and nothing I have done or said can change that reality. All the love in the world has never made a difference. I have come to the conclusion that it all was for nothing and any expression I have left is fodder for a love that might as well have never been. Most days, I'm not sure it was worth it.
            My commitment to Ben is as complicated. You cannot be a little bit pregnant. Any sense of loyalty and dedication I held towards Doug has always been at least equal to that which I have towards Ben. I could not have loved either one, any more. They have always mattered just as much, just differently. I am in it for the right reasons. I always have been. As a matter of fact, it was easy to love again.  At the time, I was astounded at the simplicity of it all. Apparently, love really does know no limit. It can be consuming, powerful and overwhelming. These are not necessarily good things. Over all these years of struggle and strife, for all the time Ben and I have spent together, I ask myself if love really ever means anything. In the grand scheme of the universe, how can it matter at all? I don't despise or repel the notion of love, I simply am not sure that the pain and strife are worth the promised moments of tranquility that never come. I ask myself if I would have been better all alone. In no way do I imagine we had never happened. I would not trade it for anything in the world. I don't rue or wish it away. I just wonder if it would have been easier to have spent my life focused on different priorities. If I had never loved, I would have no need to be free from it. I would have been free from the agony, free from the struggle, free from the constant chaos. I would have been able to not feel anything, for anyone. Just as I sometimes wish Doug had never been, I can't help but think my life would have been easier without the silly, stupid thing called love.
           
"Every heartbeat bears your name
Loud and clear they stake my claim
My red blood runs true blue
And every heartbeat belongs to you"

            Since Doug's death, Valentine's Day has not been my favourite holiday. It never really was in the first place. The day itself is not the problem. Having a commemoration set aside for the expression of love is never a bad thing. Making a day of it seems very apropos. Yes, it has evolved into a commercial venture, a cultural cash grab. At base, Valentine's Day should be redundant. Why do we have to set aside a day to remember what we should embrace every day? Still, any harm it does in condoning excess is succeeded by its economic consequence. Regardless of its modern purpose, every year I am reminded of this most terrible of moments. This day has become a horror relived. Every flower, every heartbeat is a constant reminder of the sheer agony the day in question has brought me. My fortitude does not stop my mind from playing it over and over again in my thoughts. Throughout the entire gamut, I try to remember where I am now but the plague of what was is much more powerful than I ever imagined. Every year, I hope I will not have to relive it. I hope that it has faded away and will no longer haunt me come the day. Somehow it always does. Over twenty years later and I still find myself at the mercy of my memory. Sometimes the reality is so harsh that I wish I was free from it. In the end, perhaps not loving in the first place would have served me better. It would have been better for both of us, I fear.
            It was almost 48 hours after his death that my mother and I sat down to order flowers for the funeral. Nelson's Flower Shop still sits in the center of downtown Strathroy, Ontario. The small, quaint depot is welcoming and pretty, like the gifts they bestow. Tuesday, February 14th 1995 was a Valentine's Day to remember. My Mom and I found our way to a cursed event. We sat down and waited for the attendant to help us. I was weary and humbled and trying so hard to hold on. I thought ordering a bouquet of sunshine might distract me, if even only for a moment. It did not. We sat and we waited, for what seemed like hours. The truth be told, what should have been a 15 minute endeavour turned into 60 minutes of pure horror. Slowly, then to pace, love flowed about the room like molasses. The air was thick with sentiment, heavy with an unending, in my face ruckus called love. It may have seemed much to do about nothing but every lover just made me cringe. As we waited, patron after patron rushed in to buy roses or some special gift for their loved one. At some point, the experience became less about ordering and more about hammering. Every one of them that entered made me feel like a nail was rammed into my head. Dozens of men, conned into thinking it would make any difference, came then went, pummelling my brain with mini-daggers of doom. One after another, each a deliberate assault on my senses. I could barely breathe. I could barely speak. Needless to say, Valentine's Day is not filled with wonderful memories for me. It does not find welcome every moment of the day. Every year I try to make it fit again but I am left with the pain, the agony, and most of all, the feeling that it was all for nothing.

"Classic case of boy meets girl
Moving in the same direction
You're not asking for the world
I'm not asking for perfection
Just a love that's well designed
For passing the test of time
I'm here to tell you
I'm here to stay
Every hour, every day"

            Being with someone for almost two decades means you have to make certain adjustments in your thinking. I can't always have it my way. Valentine's Day is a prime example. It is the last thing in the world that I give a shit about. I'd rather chew glass than give in to the sentiment of the day. I have to fake it. I give my partner Valentine's gifts and he does the same for me. There are cards, candies and I have even baked a heart-shaped chocolate cake just for the occasion. I go through the motions because of my responsibility to my relationship but certainly not out of some want. Every heart thrown in front of me, every cinnamon candy or sweet red rose, returns me to that torture room, just on Front Street in my hometown. Throughout the day, I feel more like Pinhead than
a man who has moved on. I am unsure why this experience, above all others, lingers with me. I don't know why I make it through the rest of the anniversaries without such a tactile and physical response. On the day he died, I am sad and empty. On his birthday, I am blue and resolved. On our anniversary, I am reflective and resigned. On Valentine's Day, I would rather rip your face off than see one more fucking flower or witness Cupid making his play. Every year I get nailed all over again.


"Every heartbeat bears your name
Loud and clear they stake my claim
Ask anyone and they'll tell you it's true
Every heartbeat belongs to you"

            You shouldn't need hearts and endearments to convince the one you love that you love them. Valentine's Day should be irrelevant. It matters only on some level of recognition. Loving someone romantically should be an action, not mere semantics. Every heartbeat should hold more than candy or flowers. People convince themselves that a few moments of thoughtfulness are the truest expression of the love they feel towards their better half. This is just not within the reality of being human. Love can be an awful place to visit and I don't understand why some people choose to live there. It is pain and loneliness and hurt and abandon. More often than not, it is rarely worth the complication, let alone the chaos. Still, despite the misery loving has brought me, I find myself carried away on clouds of wonder. I am constantly aware of all the positives that loving has brought me. There are moments from my life so powerful, so engulfing that I can barely breathe while they occur. Yes, romantic love is often more hardship than healing, but it is also the blood that flows through each of us. While I often wish I had played it safe, avoiding all that caring for another can bring, I know I would be a lesser man without it. I am not fond of the deliberate way love rips your soul from your body and pisses all over it.  I would trade it most days for some semblance of peace. It thrives within me, regardless of the constant war it rages deep inside my being. All I do know is that I am cursed and blessed at the very same time. As with everyone else's experience, love has been a struggle. Unlike with most people, it has been easy for me to find. Twice over, I have come to know how duplicity rules the heart. It is both good and bad, happy and sad. I am sure that it might not seem worth it but it turns out that in the end, it always is.

"Yeah, sure maybe I'm on the edge
But I love you baby and like I said
I'm here to tell you
I'm here to stay
Every hour, every day"
(Every Heartbeat, Amy Grant 1991)









Photos





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.