August 2nd,
2018 was a somber day for me. The anniversary of my parents’ marriage (would
have been 57 years) and the commemoration of my late cat Gizmo’s birthday
(would have turned 30) brought me reserved sadness just like every other year.
This year, however, I had a grand distraction. After 41 years of faithfully
following Amy Grant, I found myself questioning if I could continue to believe
a word that comes out of her mouth. I got my posts from her Facebook page that
day, just like I do every time she makes a statement. I was shocked to see her
standing with her husband, all smiles with her “friends” from Chik-fil-A, an American restaurant specializing in chicken. I hear the product
is quite good, considering. It would have been easier for me had I discovered
that the product tastes like crap but we don’t always get what we want,
particularly when we want it. My heart just about fell out of my chest. I could
not believe, after all she has said and done over the years, that she would associate
herself with such a controversial organization. As a Canadian, I am well aware
of the position this company has taken regarding homosexuals so I would just
assume someone (like Amy), who lives down the street from their Nashville offices, would
be more than aware of the criticism lodged against them. I suppose there is a
price you pay for selling out, apparently, that’s sixty lunches for sixty
kids.
“Well, I’d like to
figure out where we stand
Before darkness falls
And I’d like to
figure out
Before too late
Before hope is lost
Cause the sun that’s
shining on my face
Is shining down on
you
And the fruit that
gives me strength to live
Is giving you
strength too
Can we find a way to
find a compromise
Though we don’t see
eye to eye”
In 2012, chief
operating officer Dan T. Cathy, the lead guy at Chik-fil-A, made outrageous statements against alternative choices
to traditional marriage. While being interviewed on June 16th, 2012,
on a nationally syndicated radio talk show, Cathy made the statement that “I think we are inviting God’s
judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better
than you as to what constitutes a marriage’ ...I pray God's mercy on our
generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have
the audacity to define what marriage is about.” Later, in July of the same
year, Cathy gave an interview to The Biblical Recorder, a bi-weekly newspaper published
by the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina. Throughout the
interview, Cathy expressed his views on the family and the institution of
marriage that he vehemently endorses. He claims, “We are very much supportive
of the family, the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a
family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first
wives (unlike Vince Gill). We give God thanks for that. We want to do anything
we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that.” When
later asked about the controversy, he emphasized, “We intend to stay the course.
We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live
in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles.”
Hate always has a voice, even if it hides as Jesus. It was not only the
statement or behaviour of Cathy that met with condemnation. The company
financially supported many questionable groups including the Family Research
Council (FRC), an American conservative Christian group well known for anti-gay
rhetoric.
In a 2014
interview, Cathy admitted that he “regretted drawing his company into the
controversy.” Eventually, Chik-fil-A stopped
publicly supporting most of the questionable organizations. They claimed to
have “ceased donating to organizations that promote discrimination,
specifically against LGBTQ civil rights.” In an internal document, the company
announced that they “will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual
orientation.” While it may be good and well, somehow all these years later and
Cathy still runs the show. Although the company actually profited from this
initial onslaught, they have yet to pull away from their own bad press. People
do not easily forget when someone obviously hates, especially when it involves
clear discrimination. As with Harvey Weinstein, and other hateful offenders, it
is not just each individual that now stands accused. We know that most
companies would rather rid themselves of such vermin. This controversy has been
carried by Chik-fil-A ever since. It
is hard to take you at your word when you keep an abuser in your midst. If you
do not condemn a person for their actions, then you condone those actions. It
will not matter how much you apologize and attempt to recertify a situation
like this, if the greatest transgressor is still in charge. It’s not about how
much you claim to have changed. It’s not about sixty pieces of chicken for
sixty kids. It’s about affiliation and the lingering wounds that have been
dealt to many people’s trust. You are guilty by association.
“Well, I’d like to
figure out a way
To leave a troubled
past behind
To forget those angry
words and wars we fought
Across the battle
lines
Cause tomorrow we
could find a road to peace
For you and me
And our children in
their innocence
Will follow what they
see
Oh, we’ve got to find
a way to live our lives
Though we don’t see
eye to eye”
Team Amy
(on Facebook) was unyielding in their position. According to them, no other
sponsor was willing to donate to a day camp for J.C. Napier Homes, a local
children’s charity. They gladly accepted the lunches and all posed for a picture
of corporate promotion. Yes, they claimed that Amy “welcomes all.” Yes, they
even pointed out that they made the decision to go with Chik-fil-A simply because of the sixty children who might suffer. I
had no idea that Amy was so lacking in funds. On paper, she is worth 55 million.
Rather than crawling into bed with a homophobic image, perhaps she should have
paid for the lunches herself. I don’t understand why she compromised herself
so. Just looking at that picture of her and her “friends” at Chik-fil-A made me question everything I
have come to understand about Amy Grant. For a moment, all she was became a
lie. Years of believing her message seemed lost in my bewilderment. Was this
the real Amy Grant? Perhaps it has all been for show. I couldn’t really
distinguish much at that point. I was heartbroken, even if only for a moment. I
could not reconcile the woman I had encountered for 41 years with the woman who
stood in the picture before me. How could you not know the association being
made? Granted, Grant has always battled one controversy after another.
According to the Bible, she is as big
a sinner as the rest of us. This is what made her so accessible to
non-Christians and Christians alike. I always felt like it mattered to her what
I thought. It mattered to her that I got her message loud and clear. As of
late, I am now receiving a different message. Team Amy certainly made no
apologies for their choices. Amy had always stood up for her beliefs, which is
why it is so disturbing to see her stand up for Chik-fil-A. It’s not even about why she did it, it’s the fact that
she actually did.
“Oh, how easy it
would be
To close the door and
walk away
I can’t walk out when
I believe
You are my brother
And we owe it to each
other
We’ve got to try
Though we don’t see
eye to eye”
Recently, Chik-fil-A announced their expansion into
the Canadian marketplace. The first franchise would find Toronto as their base. Considering the immense
support in Canada
for the LGBTQ community, a number of boycotts and continued backlash scarred
their proposal. The voice has been clear. For many, the company is not welcome
in Canada ,
based entirely on their homophobia and transphobia. While their plans to open
the first restaurant in July of 2018 fell, they claim to be opening stores in
2019. We will rise up again against them. Unlike Team Amy, Canadians aren’t
afraid to call a spade and spade. If you take donations from the NRA, then you
clearly support the NRA. Cash aside, you associate with them and people will
draw their own conclusions. Entering into such an affiliation, well knowing,
says it all as far as I am concerned. I can only hope this was all due to bad
management and not some revelation as to the true nature of my icon. I have to
believe that it really was Amy speaking to me that night on Facebook. She was
consistent like she always seemed to be. I can hear her saying, “We just have
to agree to disagree.” I wish it was that easy.
“Well, I’d like to
figure out
Where we stand
Before darkness
falls...”
(Eye to Eye, Amy Grant 2003)
I guess I
was wrong. I assumed from songs like “Out
in the Open” and “Say it with a Kiss”
that the LGBTQ community would be granted some consideration. I’m not sure how
you can have both worlds but up to the point this happened, Amy seems to have
done just that. With such a large gay following, I can’t imagine why the choice
to accept donations from Chik-fil-A (considering
their history and public image) was
made. Yes, feeding children is more important than all this drama. Yes, this
does not essentially cancel out the clear message of encompassing love and
Grace Amy has contributed throughout the years. It all strikes me in a sad
place. After all, hypocrisy is claiming to have moral standards to which one’s
actions do not conform. Claiming we are all children of God and then appearing
to support those who dismiss this idea, do not make for good bedfellows. This juxtaposition
does not make sense. I am not angry at Amy like I was during the entire
episode. Time has passed and so too has that sense of abandonment and futility.
Again, I can only hope that this lack of consideration to the gay community was
simply an error in judgment and not insight into the real person at the head of
all this. I appreciate almost any benevolent contribution made to charity but
it is what comes with that acceptance that defines the giver. I am not sure
what lasting impressions this event will have on me and my relationship with
Amy the artist rather than Amy the person. I suppose, only time will tell.
Until then, the best I can do is live by example and give her the benefit of
the doubt. She deserves that much, even if all the queers do not. In the end,
we simply do not see eye to eye.
“Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character.”
(1 Corinthians
15:33, NIV)
Video
“Eye to Eye”
“Out in the Open”
“Say it with a Kiss”
Photo
Sources

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.