“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.” (Steve Jobs, American businessman)
I never
wanted to be one of those people who regrets not seizing the day, not making
the most of each moment. In my youth, I did just that. I never took the time to
appreciate my time and I rarely stopped to smell the roses. Time, it seems, can
change a man. Circumstance and experience can shape a man. These days, Carpe Diem is my forte. It is part of my
mission statement. I care about wasting my life, even if only in increments,
for a minute or two or ten or two hundred. It has become important to me that I
seize the day like they say. It has become important for me to be kind and leave
a positive impression when I meet someone. I must be kind, regardless of any
reason that person has given me not to be. This position may come and go
depending on the actions of the object of my rejection. I strive to be so, then
be so some more. I want to be remembered as tolerant and generous and someone who
loved loudly. I wish to be thought of as laughing. I strive to stay on this path.
It can be easy to float away on all the negative bullshit that this world has
to offer. I have, so far, stayed the course. It has been challenging and, quite
often, it has been a struggle. In the most sincere manner, I try to love others
as I would myself. I try not to judge, since we are all living a horror of our
own. More than anything else, I am diligent in remembering that I am not dead,
regardless of the realization that I really should be.
“Killing oneself is, anyway, a misnomer. We don't kill
ourselves. We are simply defeated by the long, hard struggle to stay alive.
When somebody dies after a long illness, people are apt to say, with a note of
approval, ‘He fought so hard.’ And they are inclined to think, about a suicide,
that no fight was involved, that somebody simply gave up. This is quite wrong.”
(Sally Brampton, English journalist)
As I hit
the edge of Stratford ,
I downed them all like they were candy. One hundred little blue pills, one
thousand milligrams of Valium, rushed into my system. I barely made it to the
cemetery. When I finally managed to get inside the gates, I was overcome and
headed right into the centre of a roundabout. I deserted my car, leaving the
engine running and the driver’s door open. I crisscrossed the grounds,
effectively facing the icy February cold. I made it to him, or at least so they
tell me. Apparently, I tossed myself onto the grave and faded into the bitter
night. There was no overcoat to comfort me. There were no gloves, no hat, no
scarf, there was nothing to deter the frigidness of my surroundings. I did
everything I thought I could do to leave this world that night. Both science
and religion have agreed, I should not be here. Well, here I am. You could say
I was given a second chance. You could say I was rescued, set free. All I know
is that things changed for me after this incident. Although I still faced
tremendous grief and pain, I began to notice individual moments instead of
general occurrences. Each day was a gift and I refused to waste it. It was like
a flashlight had been loosed in my darker place. This is why not wasting my
time is so important to me. If this has been a second chance, I don’t want to
misuse it. Sometimes I tend to forget my direction. Outside forces tend to
distract our true purpose. Every time I want to give up and every time I
abandon all hope, I remember I am not dead, yet.
“You’re going to die. You’re going to be dead. It could be
20 years, it could be tomorrow, anytime. So am I. I mean, we’re just going to
be gone. The world’s going to go on without us. All right now. You do your job
in the face of that, and how seriously you take yourself you decide for
yourself.” (Bob Dylan, American musician)
Death will
change a man. To wake up to life, when I had departed by darkness, was a
strange experience for me. To say the event was surreal is an understatement.
One moment I was in my car turning into the cemetery and heading towards him.
The next thing I knew, half a week had passed and I stood captured by an
institution that was bound and determined to convince me to live. My stay in
hospital really did me no good. When I left it behind, I still felt the same
way about living. I didn’t want to. It was my brush with death that quelled my
hand. Even though every part of me wanted to go, the idea of abandoning my
second chance held me sure and managed to get me through. Occasionally, I have
felt like a cat. I do not mean to imply I am a pussy, just graced with nine
lives. It can feel like that sometimes. In my twenties, the good Bipolar that I
am took it upon himself to exit stage left at any time he chose to. I have more
than just scars to prove it. I could take it personally. In my time, there have
been over a dozen suicide attempts so I am left feeling unwanted, in a sense.
Perhaps I don’t deserve to die. God doesn’t want me and neither does Jesus.
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it
is to be alive,
to think, to enjoy, to love ... ” (Marcus Aurelius, Roman
emperor)
A month had
passed since our suicides. My grief was unending, at least it seemed like it at
the time. I barely functioned and obsessed with the idea of removing myself
from the planet. It was hard enough getting through one day without having to
think about holding the moment, seizing that day, or even thinking about
tomorrow. For weeks, grief caused me to suffer but it was by my own hand. Those
moments were dark, foreboding and destructive. I did not wish to move past it,
it was all I had left. The last time I thought about taking my life was on
Sunday, March 19th, 1995. I had hidden a bottle of tequila near the
flour mill where he had jumped just a few weeks before. I sat staring at the
tower, wishing I had the balls to climb it myself. This is why I held that
bottle, that is what I had come here for. Perhaps the drink would force me to
the top. I just couldn’t do it. Despite any inebriation, I walked away from
that fate. As I sat there, I closed my eyes and felt the sun all around me. A
breeze washed over me and calmed my soul. For a moment I was one with the world
rather than wanting to be off it. It hit me and it hit me hard. I had already
gone on with my life. I had already survived. Killing myself at that point would
have been anticlimactic. Sitting feeling alive made me want to be. I have never
entertained the self-harm option since that day. Sometimes I feel like everyone
else. Sometimes I want to run and dying seems the ultimate refuge. I don’t ever
really mean it. Over twenty years later and I am still not dead.
“The future depends on what you do today.” (Mahatma Gandhi,
Indian activist)
I can only
imagine the toll smoking will eventually have on my health. Even though I have
stopped, it has already done much damage. My teeth have suffered, my lungs have
suffered and my pocketbook has suffered. The pain started in the most
inconvenient manner. Any time I exercised, or even walked too far, I would
seize up. I felt like I had been torn in two via my rib cage. I even
entertained the idea that some Alien baby might just pop out of me at any time.
The angina was fierce. When they took the Angiogram, I wasn’t surprised to
learn I had a blockage in my heart. I asked if they could tell what had caused
it and I was informed I might just as well have shoved a few cigarettes right into
my arteries. Thirty years of sucking on death did nothing but make my life
worse. It was a little scary at first but over time the proper medications made
it seem like there was nothing wrong at all. I have always been lucky with my
choice of doctors. The care I have received has been outstanding and,
literally, saved my life. When I froze in the cemetery, they brought me back.
When I lost my mind, they made me found again. My cardiologist is no exception.
After that initial appointment, I came to the crossroad. I sat in my car and
the first thing I reached for was a cigarette. Someone might as well have
punched me in the face. This was slow suicide. A few years have passed and I am
healthy as a horse. There is no issue outside picking up my prescriptions. I am
still alive and I am still moving forward with life. After all these years,
after all the complications, after all the drain, I am still not dead.
“Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were
going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and
understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward.” (Og
Mandino, American author)
Recently, a
family member claimed to have taken an
entire bottle of pills with the hope of leaving this world. Fortunately, it
takes more than a few aspirin to off yourself. Youth is wasted on the young.
The attempt got me to thinking. The very idea of dying is so alien to me now.
Every day is another reason to keep going. I’ll take each one of those days, thank
you very much. Most certainly, I am still not dead nor do I wish to be. I
prefer to just stay away from that kind of otherland. I am even looking forward
to the aging process. While I do not fear death, I respect it so much more than
I ever did in the past. Dying, in a sense, has become part of the process
rather than an obstacle, or something to avoid and not think about. It has no
power over me. I have become a patient man. I can wait for it, even if I want
nothing to do with it. Living has become my focus. Every moment is so
appreciated that I forget to try and I just do. It has become my natural state.
Like everyone else, I still experience heartache and I still suffer at the
hands of fate. I am constantly reminded of where I have come from and where I
am going. I may not be dead but one day I will be. I can count on that.
“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every
wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities
and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life
but this.”
(Henry David Thoreau, American essayist)
(Henry David Thoreau, American essayist)
Photo

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.