Monday, June 25, 2018

The Omnist



            I’m not really that political. I do not enjoy the exercise. It’s not that I have no sense of fairness or interest in justice. I simply think that using politics as a measure of a society is like basing the character of God on the Bible. We are more than mere representation. I tend to not become involved. It’s not that I couldn’t care less, but it’s entirely possible. I consider myself a democratic socialist although the label is not my favourite part of being Canadian. I am far left of center when it comes to governmental policymaking and any related social matter. I support free speech and as a journalist stand firm on that position. I encourage social movements, especially those that are inclusive rather than selective. I believe that while Black Lives do matter, the movement would be better served if it unified with other voices, other matters of societal concern. In fact, I believe that All Lives matter, and therein lies the rub. All these movements, standing alone, screaming to be heard. We need to come together, to stand together, to rise up together. One voice should be all that is heard. Each splinter faction, each individual expression would not find itself lost in the whole, rather each would make up the whole. If all these lives count then we should merge and stand hand in hand, arm in arm. I do not mean to suggest that we should institute communal ideologies. Perhaps it may be that a unified articulation would better serve the masses. Regardless, lumping all causes, all movements together under one banner may not seem like the solution but it strikes me as better than the way things are. We pick and choose what we buy into. We select our crusade and not the other way around. We decide our position in the same way that we pick and choose the God that we worship.
            At the end of the Bible, the book of Revelation (Chapter 17) warns humanity of an anti-Christ setting up a one-world government and a one-world religion. In these  scriptures, mankind is forced to choose between their own personal God (from a long list of modern options) and the “one true” God (who just happens to be the demagogue in question). I hope that things don’t end up that way. My Christian conditioning always leads me to an unbalanced place. I often question my position, especially on the matter of social justice. I would not want to do anything or say anything that would make the cavern between the Lord and I grow larger. What if all the warnings are true? What if the New World order to come is a platform for evil to manifest as man? What if it isn’t all commentary and what if I am wrong? What if one religion, one political system would  only seal all of our doom? I would argue we must come together now as a collective so that we can preserve our own sense of faith and salvation. As with any political position one takes, deciding what God to serve is a very subjective matter. We give our loyalty based entirely on how we see the world and particularly how we see the focus of our divination. On a good day, people tend to validate their belief structure based on those things they find most appealing in a saviour. On a bad day, they either chastise themselves for error or blame themselves for the void left regarding any unanswered prayer they may have released. Each person believes differently, even if raised in an identical manner. Our faith is unique, exclusive to the individual. I was once asked how many Gods are worshipped on this planet on any given day. I could have easily researched the answer, claiming a number that really doesn’t mean much. Instead, I went with my gut response and stated “7 billion.” When asked to explain myself, I simply elaborated on how each person has their own concept of the universe and that unity comes down to whether you agree on a name for your God or not. It is within our own hubris that we assume our salvation. Since our own way works for us then everyone else’s position is flawed or repugnant. Our overbearing pride lies to us, often.
            There is common ground. Each religion holds something of value. Every religion, every esoteric idea, even the most outrageous cult, holds some form of the divine within it. If you take the time to look, it can be found. It all depends on what you’re looking for. Like a mustard seed, it starts out small then it fills with more. With enough time and attention, it becomes something much greater than it was. No matter who you are, there is room for a harvest. You have to cultivate if you intend to reap what you sow. If God is within, then He is within us all. We already have one voice but we do not use it. I’m not even sure that most of us know how to. Despite any warning from the Christians, I believe that coming together and worshipping together is much more productive for ourselves and our society than striving within the duplicity of varying theological positions. Rather than worshipping the many, we should worship the one. Whether we follow this deity or that deity doesn’t matter in the long run. All our prayers go to the same place. All mercy, all grace, all our salvation is filtered through the same process, regardless of what we call the object of our attention. This kind of thinking is far more successful than one could imagine. For example, the Bahá'í “ is a religion teaching the essential worth of all religions, and the unity and equality of all people.” With over 10 million followers worldwide, Bahá'ís regard “the major religions as fundamentally unified in purpose, though varied in social practices and interpretations.” Their base teaching strives for the wholeness of all people. Their mandate is to bring “a unified world order that ensures the prosperity of all nations, races, creeds, and classes.” If they can do it, perhaps we all can do it. It works for them. The idea of a New World Order has been demonized throughout the history of the Church. It may be viewed as evil, and the cause of our destruction, assuming the results are predestined. I would rather come together than continue to be apart. Look at the world around you and ask yourself whether the gods we worship actually work in the greater scheme of things. In fact, all the different religions and cults seem to exemplify the problem. I just don’t find all the subjective interpretations are something I want as part of my thinking. All lives really do matter, regardless of their faith. I suppose I have become an Omnist.
            I am an Omnist and I believe in the validity of all religions. This does not mean I do not have one specific faith structure that I exist under or a name for the God that I myself worship. Omnism is “the recognition and respect of all religions; those who hold this belief are called Omnists.” The earliest known use of the term was by English poet Philip J. Bailey who, in 1839, claimed that “I am an Omnist, and believe in all religions.” It’s all about the legitimacy of all those religions. For the person who doesn’t make claim to any one faith, who does not practice or believe in one set deity or energy, the truth lies in all of them. Omnism is “a way to accept the existence of various religions without believing in all that they profess to teach.” In fact, to an Omnist, “all religions contain truths, but that no one religion offers all that is truth.” It might be thought of as a “syncretism taken to its logical extreme.” The very idea that there is a “single transcendent purpose or cause uniting all things or people” makes great sense to me. If all religions hold “different elements of a common truth,” then the Omnist is open to any such potential truth. The entire ideology is more expression than formula, more esoteric than dogmatic. Actually, there is a strong influence from existentialism, where "consciousness is a power or force that helps determine the reality, yet is not a divine influence.” Omnism affirms “the necessity of one arriving at an understanding of reality based on personal experience, engagement, and inquiry, and an acceptance of the validity and legitimacy of the differing understandings of others.” While it is more speculation than theology, there is an “implied system of values or ethics.”
            I was a hardcore Christian, even for a fag. The suicide of my first partner only pushed me further down that rabbit hole. I, once again, became somewhat of a fundamentalist, holding to the literal readings of any scriptural text. I was lost and tossed myself on Jesus. The Bible became my touchstone. Even though I knew deep inside it was probably a fruitless endeavour, I had to see for myself what this lifestyle really had to offer. If Jesus was the answer, I was willing to field the questions. After all, you cannot determine whether you are going the right way if you fail to follow the path in the first place. I hoped against all hope and wished for the things that my faith had always taught me one should pursue. I got washed away in the blood of Jesus. I started to believe all the hype. I closed my mind to other ideas and other belief structures. Like with any truly “good” Christian, I turned my back on everything in hopes of gaining everything. I had to try, even if a part of me cringed at the idea. Initially, it was confusion to have such a schism fracturing inside my head. At first, it was easy to ignore reality when I was safe in the Father’s arms.  I was so broken, so defeated that any offer, any tinge of rescue was pounced upon in desperation. I had been to this place before. My late teens found me born again almost every weekend. Despite the outer appearance, back then I did not discover any true reward in my surrender. Everything I was told to hate about myself stayed with me after every altar call. I never felt anything but I had to try. I just played the part then went off to suck some cock. Jesus took nothing and gave the same in return. When I met my current  partner, 20 years ago now, Jesus took a back seat. Eventually, I just kicked him out of the car. I did not need anyone else’s interpretation to clear the way. I studied. I have studied theology for so long now that I pee scripture, and that’s on a good day. From my early days of university through hundreds of exegesis after exegesis, this inquiring mind is never satisfied. It has always been my intention to simply understand rather than condemn. As a matter of fact, Christianity saw to it that I view the world this way. They are an example, for sure, but a bad one I suggest. Still, this way holds the same consideration any other faith would be granted. There is truth in all religions, after all. I no longer believe that Christianity holds all the answers. I do not believe it is the only way to have a relationship with God. Like any other theology, there are truths that lie within it. I guess I never had to turn my back of Jesus.
            My relationship with Christianity did not end well. Eventually, I realized the restrictions any religion might use to hold their position. Christianity was no exemption. It is because I was raised so that I had the hardest time separating The Christ from the dogma of the Christians. It’s the same with any other religious ideology. There is a grain of truth in everything but nothing is exclusive in that truth. It was a hard day for me when I walked away from my faith structure. I was trapped, suffocating on scriptures that I shoved down my very own throat. I reached out for guidance and compassion and any semblance of peace. All I found was a judgmental God with little concern for anyone but his own congregation. I expressed my concerns regarding other faiths, other ideas on salvation and was instructed just how wrong that interpretation was. I learned quickly, as my virtual assistant ranted off a list of the things that make following anyone but Jesus a fatalistic choice. Any other way (John 14:6) meant sheer doom. There is no other way, at least that’s what they keep telling me. At the time, I left Christianity because it seemed to offer me nothing but exclusivity. I never ever wanted God all to myself. I discarded my faith and surrendered to the unknown. A silent God is so much more friendly than a deity riddled by the tendency to associate with only a select group. All these years later and I realize my folly. I wish I had been freed long ago. I wish I had paid more attention to the ethereal nature of God rather than the anthropomorphic side. My faith changed and so did how I view God. My faith evolved and I became an Omnist, even though I had no idea what that meant at that time. It was by definition, not recognition. Distinguishing that truth is relative only convinced me further that the way I am going, how I travel, is what works for me. I no longer practice any organized religion or faith structure. I do not need one. I rest safe in the Father’s arms, even if you think He only cares about you.








Photo





Sources

https://www.compellingtruth.org/one-world-religion.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.