A
touchstone is a reference point against which things can be evaluated. It is an
ideal by which something may be measured. It is a measure by which we can
assess and then discern. Touchstones are a “standard or criterion by which something
is judged or recognized.” A touchstone can be an object of significance. Whether
a memento, a pet, or even the dead , a touchstone is an acknowledgment,
sometimes a memory. A touchstone can be a significant other, a person you
believe completes you and makes you whole. Ideally, this person comes without
criticism and judgements. They love unconditionally and hold great importance.
We turn to our touchstones when we need them the most. We rely on them to
ground us, to bring us back to reality even in the midst of great chaos. Some
of my greatest touchstones are not just people or places. Physical objects in
of themselves hold much meaning. I think we all have little trinkets and
keepsakes that we give not only great sentimental value but they act as a
touchstone, a way to treasure or fear, depending on your state of mind. Like a
cherished old sweater or a picture of your mother, these connections bring us
back to a place and a time without having to venture there ourselves. They act
not only as a reminder but also as an escape of sorts, an otherland of
objectification. We feel them. We see them. We know just what they are and why
they are with us. Almost literally, noting each is like touching a stone. They
can act like old friends if you let them, a safe harbour on a sea of despair. .
I cannot
remember life without it. All these years have passed and it is still with me.
It is one of my first memories. I remember spotting it on the corner cabinet in
our living room when I was six. It sat there for years. When we moved from Toronto to Strathroy in
1976, that tin was delegated to a secondary position. The top of our kitchen
cabinets would have to do, I supposed. Eventually, I just asked my mom if I
could have it and she surprisingly said yes. In hindsight, I think she knew
that I would keep it and care for it and hold it to myself. I have many family
treasures in my possession for exactly that reason. The tin itself is nothing
to speak of. It still holds its shape and most of the illustrations, but it is
dented and aged and worn from the life it has passed through. It had looked
like that long before it came to me. The ravages of five children clearly shows
on its skin. There have been no new dents or scratches since I claimed it from
my Mother over thirty years ago. It was once ornate and polished but time and
those children have managed to dim and ding the newness away. It is an
oriental, eight sided tin with a brass handled top. I treat it like it is worth
as much as anything else in my home. It is prominent in the room regardless of
its appearance. It is a treasure, a touchstone for me. I don’t have to literally
touch it to remember all those years I have held it as my own. It is connected
to my childhood and my mother and it represents both at completely the same
time. When I miss her, I can caress that silly little tin, almost as if it was a
gravestone or burial marker. I could not cherish anything more.
Emma and
Abby met on the first day of kindergarten. They became fast friends and
travelled through their youth together. No one could have been closer. No one
could have been more connected. At least, that is what their youth told them
was the truth. More sisters than best friends, the two shared years together.
For Emma, no one mattered more. As an only child she had wanted a sibling but
Abby was more than she could ever ask for. They were kindred spirits. For Abby,
her pal gave her refuge and sanity in a world that was not so friendly. Em was
an escape from the ravages of abuse. Whenever
she needed to run, whenever she ran, it was always to her bestest friend. There
was sanctuary since the day that they met. High school was a experiment in
torture. Both girls we not on the top of the popular list. This only
strengthened the commitment they had to one another. They joined clubs together
and attended social events in spite of the poor reception. They would laugh and
then they would laugh some more. There was nothing sweeter than the time they
spent together. Eventually, all good things come to an end. After graduation, Emma
moved to Montreal to attend Concordia University in pursuit of a Nursing degree. Abby
finally found emancipation in New York
City . Columbia University
offered Film and Media Studies. The day they parted was not a big deal. They
could text, they could chat, they could email. They was no real reason not to
stay connected. Time surprises everyone it seems. The distance and work load
made it difficult for the friends to stay in touch with each other. Eventually,
the relationship eroded and slowly faded away. Both women got married and had
children. Neither was present for the other’s wedding. They had no clue of
anything in the other person’s life. They might as well have been strangers. News spread of
Emma’s battle and soon Abby became aware of her friend’s new struggle. Abby
knew Emma had once been there to comfort her when the world around her fell
apart. It was Abby’s turn now. She left her family and her life and headed home
to be with her champion. When she walked into the hospital room, she could see
the fighting on her old friend’s face. No words were required. In fact, it was
like nothing had happened, like no time at all had passed away. All night long
they sat together, playing cards and laughing again. Emma gained much comfort
from the visit. It grounded things for her. This was her touchstone. It was
well into dawn before the darkness came.
I was born
and raised in Toronto , so when my first partner and I
moved there in the spring of 1994, I fell back into heaven. You can go home
again. For seven months we lived in the Kensington
Market area, just minutes from the downtown core. The CN Tower was a neighbour and Lake Ontario
was just down the street. When life got complicated, or when the money ran out,
we would take our miniature television set and head down to the Skydome. While Doug listened to the baseball
game, I would toss bread up for the seagulls to catch. It was an easy time,
these moments I remember. I can still see him sitting on a grassy knoll, volume
turned up and not a care in world. At least, that’s how things looked at the
time. I could not foresee the darkness brewing within him. I am glad to have
these memories to remind me. Things were good between us, most of the time.
Every time I have stood at the base of the CN
Tower since then, I can hear the gulls calling and the Blue Jays squawking. I am with him and he is with me. I do not mind
a journey through this otherland. It is a pleasant standard by which I judge
all of my memories of him. I don’t even need to actually be there to visit.
That miniature television set, antenna and all, still rests in my home like it
always has. I am not sure if it even works anymore but I have it. I am lucky to
have two interconnected touchstones, both a place and an object. One has
granted easy access while the other requires some effort. In 2014, my partner
Ben and I travelled to this familiar place. I had not been there in years and it
clearly had a new tenant. The Ripley’s
Aquarium of Canada opened earlier that year and it sits just feet to the
west of the CN Tower’s base. Yes, I
could still feed the birds if I wanted and the grassy knoll sits just as it did
before. It’s now a crowed space, however, and the foot traffic is severe. I
don’t suppose I could recreate those moments. I could try but there really is
no sense. I have both touchstones to measure my world against. Whether I am
standing face to face with 553 metres of concrete or holding a broken down
piece of technological history, I am at once in a happy place. It’s nice to
have things that make you go there.
When my
first partner died I was left with little choice. I tried to give up only to
have to go on without him anyway. It was humbling to experience such darkness,
such gloom. Out of nowhere there came a glimmer of light. I met Rob and Brenda
when I returned to the United
Church my family
attended. I reverted to Christianity out of fear and hopelessness and despair.
I was crying out and somehow thought if I was actually part of a community, I could find more strength to carry on.
With that community came my new friends. The married couple were only a few
years older than me. They came with a young son and lived on the far side of
Strathroy. For a few years we made much history. We studied together, sang
together, we ate and laughed and shared together. During that time, the couple
visited Israel .
I would have loved to go with them but they never asked. Rob waited until
Christmas to give it to me. The polished
cedar box came with Hebrew markings on a simple wood background. The lid was to
shape. Inside, tiny scrolls of Hebrew writings wrapped themselves around a rather plain and uninspiring stone. I had
no idea that Rob had grabbed a piece of the Wailing Wall for me. He hid it well
and brought it back, just for me. I still have that tiny morsel from the Holy Land . Although, I haven’t seen either Rob or Brenda
for years, I often look back on that time with good thoughts. We just faded
away from each other. Some people come into our lives not to stay but to serve
a purpose then leave. At the time, I had just come out of the closet and in so
doing lost almost all of my friends. Brenda and Rob were hope when all seemed
lost. Their friendship was a pleasant distraction from the reality that I
faced. If I am looking for an example of
hopefulness, I always find it in that small cedar box, sitting on my television
stand with all the other little extras.
I have many
mementos that I cling to for a sense of what once was and what might well have
been. For example, the two collars once warn by our two dead dogs hang about
for all the world to see. One even dangles from the rear view mirror of our
car. My Dad’s fireman badge, sits in glass and safety. His picture, in uniform,
rests beside the silver pin. I have pictures of my mother, and my first
partner, and cuttings from the hair of each. I have people that I turn to in
times of crisis. Some of those people I even turn to on better days. I have
places I can visit when I am looking for any sign of that often elusive peace.
I have many things in my life that act as a touchstone. The security they bring
me may be artificial but its better than nothing, that’s for sure. Anything
that acts in such a capacity, is good for the soul. We need to touch base
sometimes. We need to feel the connection we once had with something. A
touchstone can be a great source for reconnecting, reconnection with the past as well as our own
place within it. We hug our touchstones. We hold them dear. We use them to measure
the things we hold near. In the end, the only thing a touchstone does is
activate whatever rests within each person. All that we call upon is already
there. Sometimes we just need something to tweak us, to awaken that part of us.
This is what a touchstone is for.
Photo
The Old Tin Can
March 2018
Just another piece of the Wall
March 2018
Sources






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.