Monday, May 15, 2017

05-15



“I’d be happy to live till 80 as long as I was comfortable and in good health. Mind you, ask me again on the eve of my 80th birthday. Even so, I hope we don’t all start living to be 120. I’m not sure I’d cope with another 60 years.” (Bonnie Tyler, American singer)

            I was really left no choice, I had to make a choice. I could either get up from my miserable life and carry on as best as I could or I could keep trying to get the fuck off this planet. Whether one completes, or does not complete, the act of suicide, you can assume that this individual has come to a crossroads in their life.  It just goes without saying that if you give up on living, living will give up on you. Having decided to move forward and suffer, I slowly started seeing life differently. I was so surprised that something good actually came out of something so sad and wretched. I stopped using the past to insulate myself, rather I paid attention to the lessons it revealed. I quit all the stressing about the future. It was coming no matter how I felt or what I thought. Regardless of what actions I took, it came all the same. I started living for each day, a process that took time and commitment. I realized that all I have is here in the now. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow never comes and the life that you lead should be measured in moments rather than in hours, or days or even years. Today became my focus. Granted, I don't always celebrate the here and the now. Something always manages to stand in my way and quite often I fail when I should be flourishing.  I don’t always rest in the moment. Sometimes there is no seizure. Despite my lack of righteousness, I still find meaning in everything around me. When you stop and smell the roses, the fragrance is sweet. I could be cynical and a defeatist, clinging to theories and theologies. I prefer to find what I need in the beauty of this life, in the simple things. This life that I have been given (a few times) is but that moment’s time. Just existing appears to be a gift.  When each dawn breaks, when all is right in your heaven, you should have more than enough reason.
            Most people seem to have such disdain regarding their birthday. This May 15th, I will turned 58 years of age. I don’t feel that old. I certainly don’t feel anywhere near 50. I don't look that old. I certainly do not look anywhere near 50. Regardless, I am 58 years old, all the same. Ironically, I felt much older than I am now when I was 18. I’m not really young at heart, rather very much aware of the world around me. They keep telling me I have an old soul but I think I am just tired. Honestly, I couldn’t give a shit less. My age is a number and I don’t do math. Every birthday has become more of a testament to survival than a commemoration of some imaginary significance. Apparently, waking up not dead is a pinnacle of sorts. My birthday is a marker, but not just any marker. It stands as one more year that I am here against all odds. Each anniversary passes by the grace of God. I could not ignore the reality even if I tried. I once woke up thinking I was dead, then found out that I should be. This changes a man, at least it changed this man. It made me think in terms of reasons, in terms of  purpose and the consequences had I failed to take the opportunity to begin again. Every gift I am given, every candle I blow out is icing on the proverbial cake. I can't help wondering how different the world would be without me in it and how privileged I feel to carry on. Every 15th of May I find myself, once again, recognizing that I live a wonderful life. The candles on my cake will prove it.

“You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.”
(Bob Hope, American comedian)




            I have fond memories of every birthday I have known since the age of 7, even the bad ones. I can look back and I can picture a different time and a different place for each one. It’s like an otherland but with streamers and balloons and occasionally presents. I can get lost in these memories. They represent the age of my innocence, the end of just that and my trying so hard to keep going in spite of it all. One year, my brothers took me and a few friends to the movies as part of my party. Blazing Saddles was the perfect mixture of comedy and gross humour. We all laughed so hard that I still can hear it in the back of my mind, although much more soft on the volume. One year, I added to my Big Jim collection. I could not have been more surprised. The action figure had many accessories, and the Big Jim camper I got for Christmas needed more. All I wanted that birthday was the Big Jim Jeep and attachments. I coveted them so when I opened the gift from my parents, I was not disappointed. My folks always made birthdays an event in our home. I spent one birthday in prison for a dangerous driving charge. I was well liked by the other prisoners and not for the reason you might think. Somehow discovering what day it was, they presented me with a tower of butter pads topped with a lit match. I was stunned by my faux birthday cake. It is never a good idea to sing in jail, so the standard fare was a little lacking. I didn’t know what to say so I said thank you and that was it. It was an odd experience, one I have never been sure of. I guess it pays to be kind, even on a prison ward. One year, I spent my birthday walking the streets of Hollywood alone. I was broken, quite fractured and very far from home. Still, I got to see a hooker toss her cookies on Vine. Apparently, she was full. I got to check out Beverly Hills, even though I had no money to spend there. I got to see Dallas television star Dack Rambo riding around naked in his car. If only for the day, I got to be someone I wasn’t. At the time, that was the greatest birthday gift of all. Speaking of my favourite gift, I discovered the $10.00 the moment I opened the card. It came in the mail and I wasn't allowed to read it until the actual day. One of the only things I ever liked about my maternal Grandmother was her laziness. I never got a gift from her other than cash. No one did and no one ever complained. I always felt like she was trying to buy us all off, that somehow the exchange of money was an attempt at silencing her critics. I was more than okay with that. The idea may have benefited anyone on the receiving end but it was all irrelevant once you met her face to face and she opened her mouth. Regardless, the money I was given instantly started to burn a hole in my pocket. For the very first time, I was allowed to take my cash and wander by myself to the mall. I spent every penny with this glee, this freedom I had not known before. I remember the experience of bliss walking home. I suppose that’s what birthdays are supposed to do.

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”
(Henry David Thoreau, American philosopher)

            You should live each day as if it was your birthday. I think I read that somewhere. Seems like an awful lot of work for someone to have to do on their birthday. Personally, I’d rather live each day as if I were rich. On my birthday, I always end up rather ill after eating most of my birthday cake. Who wants to live each day like that? I prefer pie anyway. Sure, the presents are nice but who wants to hear that silly song over and over, day after day? The noise, oh the noise. Turning 21, over and over, would be great but turning 85, over and over, would suck the big one. I assume it wouldn’t be hard to do. I’m not sure that never aging would be something you get used to. Life isn’t like Groundhog Day. After everything that has happened to me, I doubt I would want to relive anything from my past, let alone such an irrelevant repetition. I’d rather just sit here with my now and wait to die. Growing older isn’t worth your soul. Things are supposed to get better with age, not bitter. Each birthday should be an example of mind over matter. In fact, “If you don't mind, it don't matter” (Satchel Paige). I have given up counting the years. I much prefer to count the joy and rest in that. I don’t want to know what old age feels like. I choose to stay young. Honestly, I have rarely felt older than 21 years of age. My spirit is very much intact. It took me years to realize that it takes a very long time to become young. So it’s my birthday. I’d rather have pie.

“I was forced to live far beyond my years when just a child, now I have reversed the order and I intend to remain young indefinitely.” (Mary Pickford, American Actress)




Photo

May 15th, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.