"There are things known and there are things unknown,
and in between are the doors of perception." (Aldous Huxley, English
author)
I ask
myself almost every day. It's been 22 years but it is still the fresh hell that
it has always been. So many questions. So few answers. As if the death of my
partner hadn't shaken me to the core. Enough was enough for me. I'm not sure if
it was the Bipolar activating or the encompassing grief that came with his
demise. Something crossed over in me and led me into that so-called tunnel. I
remember popping the 100x10 mg Valium I got from my doctor the day before. I then
drove into the cemetery but that's about all I can remember. My next awareness
came several days later when I woke up in the hospital. Obviously, my suicide
attempt had failed miserably. I was so pissed off it hurt. It didn't matter
that "it wasn't my time." All that mattered to me at that moment was
my own failure. I couldn't even kill myself properly.
My plan had
been a sure one. In fact, I made sure. There was no way that it could possibly
fail. I premeditated with precision and much research. I secured all that
medication. I thought I knew what I was doing. The tunnel, it showed me the
way. All I had to do was off myself and that seemed easy enough. I guess I am
not very good at it. This was not the first time I tried to say goodbye and
goodnight. Like bad foreshadowing, my survival seems so certain now. What
happened before and after this event has little to do with anything. February
19th, 1995 stands all on its own. It is set in stone, this mystery. For years
now, it has followed me. Over and over and over again, I have questioned
exactly what happened that night. I need to know, I want a clearer picture. The
not knowing, it haunts me.
I long ago
realized I could never find an answer to any of my questions. I had to learn to
live with the unknown, a fact which has never satisfied my inquiring mind. For
both myself and the doctors who examined me post-suicide, one thing was clear.
I should never have made it through that night. Indications are that somewhere
in the ether I may have passed away like I had planned. I defecated and urinated
like any good corpse would. My body temperature lowered to a dangerous degree.
I might even have been frozen, thanks to the deep cold of a Canadian winter,
mid-February in Stratford , Ontario . You wouldn't have known it from any
part of me. I was fully intact. The night was clear and cold and was supposed
to ravage my exterior while the interior slept forever. With only a hoodie,
jeans and my footwear to protect me, I laid down right in the crispy white snow
and continued my descent. The footprints from my car showed investigators the
way. I did survive but no one has been able to elaborate on just why the cold
did nothing but encourage that survival. There were suggestions by the Coroner
that it may have actually slowed down any metabolizing, inhibiting the Valium
from doing swift damage. The stupid junk worked well enough to blind me to that
night, for life, but it wasn't strong enough to kill me. All I was left with
was me.
"Some days are just bad days, that's all. You have to
experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is
going to be a good day, that's just the way it is!" (Dita Von Teese.
American entertainer)
My brother
told me you could see the outline of where I laid down in the snow that night.
You could follow the footprints all the way back to the car that I had left
running in a snow bank. The door and my wallet were open for anyone who might
have happened upon the scene. The grave was undisturbed otherwise. My trail was
the only trail and stopped dead where I tossed myself on the snow and dirt. He
duly noted that there was no clear indication of how I actually got from that
freshly dug grave to the other side of the cemetery where I was found midday on
the 20th. I spent 15 hours in that cold and unforgiving bleakness, well
unforgiving for everyone but me. It's poetic justice being the only corpse to
ever walk out a cemetery. There was no frostbite, no frost burn, no damage
whatsoever. There was nothing but waking up absolved. There was just no
consequence for any of my actions. It didn't seem fair to me that other people
get to go but I am not welcome. I took the entire experience personally.
It just
goes without saying, if you've had a near-death experience, that indicates you
have come close to death at some point during the process. To be frank, I am
still not sure if the one I experienced that night was real or live to tape.
All I know is what I remember and all I remember is what I know. The details
are unimportant but if I believe in what occurred during my state that night,
then it explains a few things about my location when I was found the next day. In
my NDE, one of the figures present informed me that I could not go forward,
that I had to go back and that "it was not my time." Apparently, even
spectres get to patronize me. He came forward out of the light and he lifted
me, easily, with no struggle whatsoever and he carried me away. While I don't
recall any destination, I know that I was found around noon in the only spot
with a clear view of the cemetery. It
was like I was planted there. There were no footprints to tell of any tale that
might have happened. There was absolutely no indication of how the hell I got
to that spot. There was only my body, unconscious, in peril and quite frozen. Although
I have never been able to rationalize the event, the evidence seems to point in
one clear direction. Sometimes you cannot know what happened and that in itself
can change you. We all flounder in the unknown.
One of the
doctors who treated me after this incident told me the story of a rugby player
from Scotland
who passed out on the field of play. He was rather drunk and was not thinking
clearly. He spent the entire night laid out on the grass. His uniform was of
little protection from the overnight weather and the morning dew. It wasn't a
frigid night by any means, with a low temperature of 4°C. Next morning, they inconveniently
found him already quite dead from hypothermia. The same doctor then told me
about a homeless man who slept on a public grate mid-winter and survived a severe
drop in temperature to -23 °C (not including the wind chill factor). The man
did not fall victim to the unforgiving Canadian freeze. Despite having minimal
protection from the cold, and the 10 cm of snow that covered him as he slept,
he got up and walked away come morning. One could argue it was the subway vent
that he slept on that heated him enough to survive. Perhaps the snow insulted
him enough to save him from an icy fate. The same exposure would have killed a
lesser man. The same conditions that ended that rugby player probably would not
have killed someone else. Perhaps, one might conclude, life is random and often makes no sense. Sometimes
things just happen and trying to explain why they happened is a fruitless
effort. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to this universe. Sometimes the
way it is just is. There is nothing fatalistic about it.
"People who think they know everything are a great
annoyance to those of us who do."
(Isaac Asimov, American writer)
I try to go
back and pick out the lessons from my history, the ones that I missed the first
go round. I try not to dwell in that otherland, I just visit it on occasion
(quite often as I am writing). When I re-examine the day that I died (so to
speak), I have more questions than anything else. I wish I had firsthand
knowledge of what happened during those lost 15 hours but I do not. It is a
blank page for me. All I am left with is the unexplained. As if existing isn't
mystery enough. Any conclusion is guesswork, backed up by little or no
evidence. My experience is to the contrary. What I can recall from before the
event and after the event melds with a foggy place. It is a blindness that
comes over me and I am abandoned with nothing but even more questions. I have
had to surrender to the predicament. There is that penetrating light. There are
the figures and the tunnel and the experience that saved my life. At this late
stage, it is a little too late to go hunting for answers. I will never have
them, no matter how I search. Sometimes in life things are easy. The rest of
the time is a challenge for most of us. I want to remember. When I think back
on that cemetery and that night so long ago, I may never come to fully
understand what may or may not have happened. Regardless, I am still here and
able to try. Sometimes we aren't supposed to know, that's why they call it
blind faith.
"There are known knowns. These are things we know that
we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we
know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we
don't know we don't know."
(Donald Rumsfeld, American politician)
Photo

Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, powerful KJ............... We walk close paths from time to time and never realize how parallel so many of our lives can be..
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain although only imaginable it still is real. Be good to yourself pal. <3 You have much to offer the world. Great perspective.....................